Pages

Monday, September 9, 2019

Pan Pastel Skeleton Leaf


I know today is Monday, but I couldn't resist sharing this card with y'all today.  See that skeleton leaf stencil?  That's one of the new stencils from this month's release over at A Colorful Life Designs.  It's such a great stencil, full of detail and fine lines.  

My card is actually an "oops" kind of card.  I had some pan pastels that I bought over a year ago, so I thought I'd give them a try with this stencil.  I spread them directly over the Skeleton Leaf stencil onto some smooth white cardstock.  After I took the stencil off, I brushed off the excess pastels, and that was when I learned that I shouldn't use smooth white paper with pan pastels.  Most of the color brushed away and I lost some of the definition and fine lines of the stencil.  

Now I know I should cover the card with Versamark first and then put the stencil on and apply the pastels.  My friend Dina suggested using a cardstock with more tooth, such as watercolor paper or drawing paper.  That would help trap the pastels so they don't brush away.  I will definitely try this next time I play with the pan pastels.

Even though this is not the look I was going for, I still like this faded, bokeh-ish, muted background.  I stamped the sentiment from Technique Junkies' Autumn set with some Acorn Versafine Clair ink and tied some copper organdy ribbon around the top.  This just goes to show you that even though something doesn't turn out the way you expect, you can still make something beautiful.

Head on over to A Colorful Life Designs and pick up this Skeleton Leaf stencil and show me what you create with it.  Use this code, HollyFan10, to save 10% when you go shopping.  

While you're in a shopping mood, pick up some stamps from Technique Junkies to go with your stencils.  The code, TJ10Holly, will save you an extra 10% off your order there.  






No comments: