Pages

Saturday, July 24, 2010

Bird House Ornament




Yes, the title is Bird House Ornament. LOL All I need to do is punch a hole in the top, thread some ribbon through, and tie it in a loop. Wouldn't this look cute hanging on a Christmas tree filled with birdhouses?

This birdhouse is made from a Milk Carton die cut from Creative Cuts and More. The dimensions are listed on the website, but here is a more realistic point of view. Remember the milk cartons you used to have in school? These are the exact same size. They are also the same size as the carton of orange juice I opened up for breakfast this morning.

I stamped the wood grain background onto the milk carton before I started folding it up. There will be a tutorial on the website soon to show you how to fold this up. Once it was assembled, I had fun adding the bird and flowers and leaves. The "hole" is actually just a small circle punched from brown cardstock and glued to the milk carton.

For the roof shingles, I cut some strips of brown cardstock, punched the scallops on one edge, and adhered them to the top of the milk carton. For a little extra oomph, I used my fingers to pull out the scallops and give the tiles some dimension.

If you were to create a birdhouse, what color would you use? What embellishments would you put on yours? I'd love to hear your creative ideas! :-)


Die Cut from Creative Cuts and More:
Milk Carton - smooth vanilla cardstock

Stamps:
Country Charm Textures from Cornish Heritage Farms

Ink:
Antique Linen distress

Other cardstock:
brown and green Bazzill papers from Creative Cuts and More

Embellishments:
chipboard bird - Maya Road
flowers - Prima
leaf punch - Martha Stewart
pearls - Basic Grey
circle punch - EK Success
scallop edge punch - EK Success
Broken China distress crackle paint

5 comments:

stampqueen said...

Oh how cute - a Christmas tree filled with birdhouses, I can see me doing that - I am into the birdhouses lately. :)

Shelly Schmidt said...

I love this- beautiful bird house- love the bird you have created. TFS

Anonymous said...

Holly, I love this! Did you use the SU! Milk Carton die? I have been looking for an excuse to get that one! But what are you doing up at 3am?!

Joan Ervin said...

Holly...this is soooo cute...what a creative way to use the milk carton die!!!!! The wood grained stamp is just perfect for this and I LOOOVE the little bird and flowers...a real masterpiece!!!!!

Kristine Reynolds said...

What a great idea Holly!