Pages

Monday, November 26, 2012

Herringbone Ho Ho Ho




Howdy, friends!  Did you enjoy your Thanksgiving?  We had a wonderful time and all the food was wonderful.  Now we have less than a month to Christmas - yikes!  I better get busy with shopping and card making!!

For my card today, I tried something new.  I've never attempted the Herringbone technique before, and I love the way this turned out.  This Herringbone technique can be found in the 12/09 issue of Technique Junkies.  I thought it was going to be something really hard and complicated, but nope.  This is really easy and goes quickly as long as you follow the steps.  :-)

I started by cutting strips of paper from the Handmade Holiday 6x6 paper pad and then I followed the Herringbone Technique tutorial from Technique Junkies.  I layered this onto some vanilla cardstock and then onto a burgundy cardstock layer.  I wrapped some Chalk White seam binding around this herringbone layer and then I adhered this to my kraft card base.

Next, I stamped the sentiment from the Christmas Sentiments stamp set (Impression Obsession) with some burgundy ink onto kraft paper.  I cut that out with an oval die, and then I layered it with a vanilla oval die cut from the Classic Scallop Oval Small die set(Spellbinders).  I then layered the sentiment onto a burgundy oval die cut from the Lacey Ovals die set (Spellbinders).  This sentiment oval was adhered to the right side of the herringbone layer.

The last thing I did was cut out a Holly Corner (Cheery Lynn Designs) from some olive cardstock.  I cut off the little flourish that was on the side of the leaf and then glued the holly corner down next to the sentiment.  I needed some berries, but none of my pearls nor rhinestones were a deep burgundy color.  So I used a 1/8" hole punch to punch 3 circles from burgundy cardstock and affixed those to my holly corner.  

All of the supplies above (in the colored text) are from Classy Cards 'n Such.  You can click on them to go directly to that item in the store.  Don't forget, you can save 10% by using this code, Holly-10, when you place your order at Classy Cards 'n Such.

I'm entering this card into the following challenges:

Addicted to Stamps #44 - Christmastime
Challenges 4 Everybody #8 - Anything Goes
Hiding in my Craft Room #73 - Christmas
Paper Creators Crafts #1 - All About Christmas



4 comments:

Debi said...

This is lovely. I like the colors you used. Very classy.

Craftyhugs said...

A lovely technique which brings the card to life. Lovely colours!
Thank you so much for joining us at Challenges 4 Everybody, Anything goes . Good luck and hope to see you at our next challenge! Hugs

Sharon - DT of Challenges 4 everybody xxx

Pia S said...

I've never heard about the Herringbone technique before, but I do like the result - fabulous design!

Marlies said...

A beautiful card Holly! I love the technique you've used, it has a very stylish effect! Thanks for joining us at ATSC, hugs, Marlies