Pages

Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Watermelon Card


Hi friends! We're well into the summer season, and I know some of you have had some sweltering heat to deal with. Maybe this card will cool you off. Watermelon is such a summer staple, and yet, I'm allergic to it and I can't eat any. But I think I can handle this paper version without any problems. :-)

Did you know that the raindrops from the Clouds and Rain die (Cheery Lynn Designs) make perfect seeds??? That was my inspiration for creating this watermelon card. I kept looking at those raindrops, thinking they looked just like watermelon seeds! LOL

To create my watermelon shape, I used some giant oval dies (Grand Oval Nestabilities from Spellbinders) and cut the three colored shapes. I folded the green oval in half, cut down the white and red ovals slightly beyond the halfway point, and then glued them down.

I cut out a bunch of black "seeds" from the Clouds and Rain die and then I used the Silhouette Pickmeup tool to pick up each "seed" so I could add glue (Quickie Glue Pen) to the bottom and then press it into place on my card. I stamped the sentiment from Stampavie's With Love set above the seeds.

Every watermelon slice needs a bee, doesn't it? LOL I die cut the two bee pieces from the Tiny Things with Wings (Cheery Lynn Designs) set from yellow and black cardstocks. I then glued the black piece on top of the solid yellow piece using the Quickie Glue Pen. The completed bee was glued near the top of the card so it looks like it is in motion. To finish off my card, I touched off each seed with a white gel pen and I ran the edges of the green card base through a dark green ink pad.

I hope you've enjoyed this fun touch of summer! When you go shopping at Classy Cards 'n Such, you can use this code, Holly-10, to save 10% off your entire order.  It's always fun to save some money when you're shopping!  :-)  I'm entering this card into the following challenges:

ABC Challenges #35 - Anything Goes
Creative Creations #13 - No Squares or Rectangles
Creative Card Crew #39 - No Designer Paper
Songbird Challenge #23 - Strawberry Fields Forever





7 comments:

Beth Norman-Roberts said...

Really a cute idea. How "refreshing" of a card.

Chris said...

Love this! So cute with the little bee on the watermelon! Thanks for sharing it with us at Songbird Challenges!
Chris
x

Danielle Vincent said...

I LOVE this card. I have a niece who will eat watermelon until she is sick if you let her. Those seeds are the bomb and I love that darling bee. thanks for joining us this week at ABC Challenges this week. Please join us again.

Stacey said...

great card thanks for joining us at creative creations challenges.

Anonymous said...

Too cute!

Dwie lewe rączki said...

Absolutely amazing card. Thanks for playing with us at Creative Card Crew! Yvonne

Jenn Bedient said...

What a fun card! I never would have thought to use that die for seeds. Thanks so much for sharing with us at Creative Card Crew. Hope you have a great day!

- Jenn DT
Crafted My Fancy