Pages

Friday, July 12, 2013

Handmade Paper and Friends



Have you ever tried using some handmade paper on your cards? That's what I've used in the background on this card today.  I created the handmade paper using the Handmade Paper technique from Technique Junkies (June/July 2013 issue) and I used the Flower Flourish embossing folder to give it some texture. I sponged on some bright and fun summer colors and set that aside. Some white cardstock was cut with the Vintage Labels Two dies set - I set aside the actual shape die cut and used the leftover negative piece. I sponged some yellow ink onto the white cardstock and then lightly sponged some brown ink around the inside edges.

Next, I cut some orange cardstock with the largest Vintage Labels Two die, sponged some brown ink around the inside and outside edges, and layered that over my yellow die cut piece. I created a shadowbox effect by adhering the handmade paper to the bottom of the two die cut pieces.

The sentiment, from the Floral Vintage Labels Two stamp set, was stamped with black ink onto white cardstock and then I cut this out with the smallest Vintage Labels Two die. I sponged some brown ink around the edges and then I used Joy Foam pads to adhere this in the middle of my "shadowbox" card.

To finish off this fun card, I die cut some Olive Branches (Cheery Lynn Designs) and adhered them to the bottom corners. The flower was created by cutting some brown cardstock with the fun Shasta Daisy Strip die (Cheery Lynn Designs) and stacking them together with a gold brad. I affixed this flower in the center of the two olive branches.

It was fun to work "backwards" instead of stacking up my layers on top of each other like I usually do. This shadowbox effect is a great way to show off special papers without them overpowering your cards. :-)  The products that I used are from Classy Cards 'n Such, and you can use this code, Holly-10, to save 10% off all your orders.  Pick up an embossing folder, some dies, some stamps, and many other crafting tools and save money!  :-)

I'm entering this card into the following challenges:

ColourQ #197 - colors (I didn't want a black flower so I used brown, but the stamped sentiment is black)
Shopping Our Stash #109 - Summer Theme or Summer Colors
Crafter's Cafe #19 - Anything Goes
Inklings and Yarns - Inky Linky 22
Crafts and Me #138 - Anything Goes



10 comments:

Juliana said...

Holly, this is BEAUTIFUL!!
I love the texture and the way you used the technique!!

Jessi Fogan said...

Oh, so much wonderful texture! I love all the embossing, and the inking just adds so much. Thanks for coming to play with us at Shopping our Stash this week :)

Jen Mitchell said...

Oh how beautiful! The embossed handmade paper is gorgeous! Love the flower and olive branches too! Thanks for joining us at colourQ!

Beth Norman-Roberts said...

Quite a unique way of showcasing your handmade paper. Love it!

lauren bergold said...

this lovely card has filled my *EYES* with joy! :) the handmade paper is utterly lovely, and the way you've worked "backwards" with your layers is totally brilliant and LITERALLY adds depth to the pretty frames! i can tell you *LOVE* making fishing cards, by how much care and attention you have paid to this adorable scene! thanks for SHOPPING YOUR (summery!) STASH with us this week! ♥

Jean Bullock said...

Gorgeous. Seriously. I love what you did with this card.

Anonymous said...

Fabulous card! I love the handmade paper and your color transitions are just beyond amazing!

Sylvia said...

Lovely card, Holly, your design is really nice, love the embossed background! Thanks for sharing your card with us at the colourQ.

Debs said...

Really beautiful card, thankyou for joining The Crafter's Cafe Challenge Blog this week.
Hugs Debs

Yapha Mason said...

What a lovely card! That sponging is gorgeous. Great use of the colors. Thanks for playing at ColourQ!