Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Belli Challenge #8 - flowers!

This week's Belli Challenge is to use flowers. Felt flowers, real flowers, silk flowers, die cut flowers, Prima flowers, all kinds of flowers... :-)




For my first project, I kept it super simple. I had seen this card at SCS, and I just LOVED it. So I cased it, with a few subtle differences here and there. I stamped this image from For a Friend onto Shimmery White cardstock. Then I arranged some felt flowers from the Felt Fusion package (Stampin Up!), stuck a brad in the center, and adhered it on top of the stamped flower with dimensionals. I just wanted a little extra "ground" at the bottom, so I ripped a piece of Olive designer paper and adhered it to the Shimmery White cardstock.





Here is a FUN project to do with those cheap silk flowers from Walmart. I had bought several bunches of these flowers about a year ago, ripped them off the plastic stem thing, and stored the petals in a mason jar. I finally found a way to use up a bunch of them! This is really much easier than it looks.

I first tried some liquid glue on the back of a flower and TRIED to stick it to this frame. Nope. Wasn't sticking. So I looked around to see what I could use that would make the flowers really stick to the frame. The big pop up glue dots from Stampin Up are PERFECT! But being the frugal person I am, I could not use one glue dot for each flower. Oh gosh no! So I pulled little pieces from each big glue dot and adhered the center of each flower to the frame. It worked great!

I gave this frame to my Gramma last night. She is in the hospital, and will probably be there for a couple weeks. I thought this cheery yellow flower frame would brighten up her hospital room. :-)






This last project was just something I did on the spur of the moment. I bought the Die Cut Blooms from the new Stampin Up mini catalog, but I had no clue what to do with them. As I was looking around, I found this little composition notebook that I still had not gotten around to altering. Hmmmm............

I covered the notebook with Real Red designer paper (from the Level 1 Hostess paper package), then adhered the die cut blooms on top. It needed some oomph, so I covered the blooms with Stickles. Love those Stickles! Then I stamped the letters from the Doodle Alphabet (retired Stampin Up) with Versafine Onyx Black ink and colored with Real Red, Bashful Blue, and Pumpkin Pie markers. When they were dry, I cut out the letters at funky angles and glued them to the notebook. Some black gingham ribbon was adhered on the back and wrapped around to tie the notebook shut.

Now it's YOUR turn to play with the flowers that you have around your house. Got some silk flowers that don't fit your home decor anymore? Rip them off the plastic stems and put them to work on your stamping projects. Do Chrissy's Belli Challenge and leave her a comment with the link to your card. If you upload to SCS, please use keyword CBC8 so we can see your creations.

Happy Stamping!

3 comments:

Jennifer (SCS: jennifer-g) said...

Oh, love them all! Great job with the flowers. That frame is SOOOOO fun - I have a whole bunch of silk flowers {somewhere!} - I might have to bust them out now.

Chrissy D said...

WOW!!!! Holly! These are ALL FABULOUS. I especially love your picture frame. Just beautiful! Thank you for participating in the Belli Challenge!

Carol M said...

I like flowers. I'll have to get mine out of the wrapper and try to use them in a project too. Usually I have good intentions on using them, but then just collect them.

http://createmakehavefun.blogspot.com/